Skip to Content

Institute of Early Childhood

Bachelor of Teaching Courses

There are two Bachelor of Teaching Courses available at Macquarie, the Bachelor of Teaching (Birth to Five Years), which is a teaching qualification for teachings working in prior to school settings, and the Bachelof of Teaching (Early Childhood Studies), a specialised degree for Indigenous Australians who who wish to specialise in teaching Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children. 

Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education)

Early childhood teachers work with children, families and communities to provide quality educational experiences for children in prior to school settings. In this early childhood education degree you will  gain professional knowledge and skills to to enhance children's learning and developmental outcomes. Graduates from this program can teach in long day care, preschool and other prior-to-school education and care settings, and are also sought after for consultancy and professional development work in the early childhood sector. Applications for this course are through the UAC website (

Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Communities)

The Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Communities) is a unique residential (block) program, bringing together early childhood teacher education and Indigenous knowledge.

Students attend compulsory teaching periods (7-10 day blocks) on the beautiful Macquarie University campus in North Ryde, Sydney four times per year. During residential blocks, all students are provided with meals and accommodation from either of the two local residential colleges Dunmore Lang and Robert Menzies College. Travel is also provided to those living interstate and the friendly staff at Warawara administers all.

The Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Communities) is a 3 year equivalent degree offered over four years as a combination of part and full time modes. Students study both at the university and at home with the support of Warawara staff, tutors, lecturers, mentors, their workplace and other students.

Students come from many parts of Australia and therefore their influence is felt far and wide. Students often become powerful advocates for children and their families as well as great leaders in their communities.

Priority will be given to those people already working in early childhood settings or similar.

How do I Apply?

Warawara provides an alternative entry program, which means a Higher School Certificate or equivalent is NOT required. Applicants are required to fill out an alternative entry program application form and submit it to Warawara by the end of October. For the official deadline, please contact Warawara on the contacts provided below.


An "Alternative Entry Program Application Form" must be completed by students intending to study the program.

Students may be eligible "credit for previous studies" if they have completed "Diploma" level studies in child care or have other studies at university level. This is assessed on an individual basis.

Next intake

The Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Communities) does not intake students each year. The next scheduled intake to commence the program is 2009. This is currently being revised.


What supports do I get for my studies?

Various supports exist including: (ITAS) Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme which funds local "mentors" to work individually with students on their studies

How do I get time off work to attend Uni?

The Australian Government supports employers of students in the BTeach by supplying funding for "wages backfilling" to employers. Students take paid study leave for the compulsory on-campus schools and backfilling funding pays for replacement staff at their workplace.

Do I have to attend the on-campus schools?

Yes, the on-campus teaching is integral to the program. Students who cannot attend must supply some documentation (e.g. medical certificate) to justify their absence.

Who pays for my travel and accommodation?

The Australian Government Indigenous Education Strategic Initiatives Program funds travel and accommodation for Indigenous students in higher education to attend compulsory on-campus schools.

I haven't been to school for many years, how will I cope?

Many students of the BTeach are mature aged students who left school many years ago. There is coursework integrated into the program to develop communication and study skills.

Do I do placements in other early childhood services?

Placements are required in three units of the program. These are done in local early childhood settings.

For further information, please contact Warawara or the Warawara Academic Liason Officer.

[back to top]